Anyway, I recovered the seats when we got it with some left over curtain fabric I had from just finishing decorating our bedroom. A friend had a staple gun that I borrowed and so I set about them with vigour and got them done. As you can see from the photo below however, this fabric had quite had enough, in fact when I took it off the seats underneath looked better!
As you can see by the various screws, this had obviously been done before, I wonder how many different seat covers they had before they came to me!
Once both seams were sewn, I turned the fabric the right way round and replaced the cushion pad to the middle of the tube.
Make sure you turn it over at this point and check you are happy with the fit, if it is too loose, remove the cushion pad again and sew the seams a little tighter.
I hope we are going to get lots more happy family times around this table and I will always cherish the memories of how it came to be here :o)